Challenges are super hot right now and an 8 week weight loss challenge may sound like something that will help you reach your goal in a meaningful way. If you do it right, it can absolutely help to put you on the right track. However, that all depends on which strategy you choose and what you plan to do after it’s complete.
Benefits of an 8 Week Weight Loss Challenge
Assuming you choose an 8 week weight loss challenge that sets you up for building long term habits, there are lots of benefits you can enjoy. These can include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
- Gradually learning new steps you can take to help promote more effective fat burning.
- Trying new things that you may not have thought to test outside the boundaries of an 8 week weight loss challenge.
- Building habits over the short term that you can keep up over the long term as you discover what works for you.
- Motivating yourself to get started with shorter-term and more achievable goals that provide steppingstones along the way for a longer-term effort.
Drawbacks of an 8 Week Weight Loss Challenge
Overall, there are two primary types of drawback associated with taking on an 8 week weight loss challenge:
- It involves only short-term goals based on temporary actions.
- It frequently involves extreme or fad diets or workouts.
The problem with taking on a strategy that is meant only for the short term is that it doesn’t take into account what will happen after the goal is reached (or not reached, depending on how able you are to keep it up all the way through. This type of attitude toward weight management often ignores the underlying cause of the initial weight gain and won’t stop any lost pounds from returning after the two months are complete.
Extreme or fad diets or workouts can be more destructive than helpful, even if they appear to be beneficial at first. Many short-term diets can lead to changes in the microbiome and metabolism that will make weight management more difficult over the longer term. This means that after you’re done with your 8 week weight loss challenge, you could not only find it more difficult to lose body fat or maintain your current body mass. At the same time, you might also find that the pounds climb on more quickly than ever before. This can be damaging to your health and your willingness to give healthy, long-term weight management a try.