When it comes to snack time, the odds are that you are regularly faced with a common dilemma. You want something that will fill the void and comfortably tide you over until your next meal, but at the same time, you don’t want to add a large number of calories to your daily total. You may have tried a number of the packaged snacks that advertise themselves as having only 100 calories each, but it is more than likely that you have found yourself feeling unsatisfied with what they were able to provide.
Are you doomed to have to choose either hunger or high calories? Not at all. You just have to choose your snacks strategically. Instead of grabbing a tiny sample sized bag of a processed treat, choose one of the following whole foods that come with a real ability to fill you up without maxing out your calorie limits. You may notice that there is a focus on lean protein, fiber, and water content, as these are all substances that can help to fill you up without adding an extreme number of calories to your daily totals.
The following are some great ideas that you will be able to add to your regular snack routine so that you can beat the hunger without breaking the calorie bank.
• Two celery stalks. Slice them up into strips and then use some light guacamole as a dipping sauce.
• Two slices of extra lean ham rolled up with two tablespoons of whipped light cream cheese inside.
• One slice of roasted turkey breast rolled up with one slice of light Swiss cheese inside.
• One hard boiled egg, cut into slices and sprinkled with paprika and ground black pepper.
• A half cup of fresh blueberries mixed into a half cup of fat free cottage cheese.
• A cup of your favorite broth based soup with a squeeze of lemon to brighten up its flavor.
• A medium sized tomato, sliced and topped with fresh basil leaves, one ounce of fresh low fat mozzarella, and a light drizzling of one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
• One cup of watermelon, diced, mixed with one ounce of low fat feta cheese, as well as chopped fresh mint, and drizzled with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
All of these options taste great and are enough to fill you up and keep you going until your next meal.