When you look at the number of different over the counter diet pills that are currently available, choosing the best OTC diet pills for your weight loss goals and expectations that will also be safe and affordable, can feel like a nearly impossible task.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of different products out there that all claim to be the best diet pills. To make choosing even more difficult, they are all available at your fingertips as soon as you sit down in front of your computer or do a quick search on your phone.
How Do You Find the Best OTC Diet Pills?
The trick to finding the best OTC diet pills is to look beyond the promises that are made on the label and actually inform yourself. Remember that this is a highly competitive industry and companies spend thousands to millions of dollars on their marketing strategies, including hiring celebrities for their endorsements and launching massive ad campaigns.
How do you separate the products promising you that you will be able to use them to discover a leaner version of yourself from those that will actually do it? There is no single rule, but there are a number of steps that you can follow to help you narrow down your options to a far more manageable selection.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you’re on the hunt:
- Look at the product’s label – This information isn’t the be-all and end-all, but it is a good starting point. Have a look at what the product claims to do and make sure that this is what you actually want and that you know how to use it to properly achieve those goals. Know whether it is meant to be used on its own, or if it needs to be combined with a certain diet or style of exercise.
- Check out the ingredients – Turn the bottle around and find the supplement facts label. Look for products with short ingredients lists. Three to six is usually an ideal range of ingredients. Anything less may limit potential benefits ranges, and anything more will mean that the ingredients that are included may not be used in adequate quantities to produce real results.
- Investigate the ingredients – Do a little research into the ingredients using reputable sites. The Mayo Clinic has a good list of common diet pill ingredients and whether or not they have been proven through research, for example.
- Read customer reviews – Check customer reviews on a number of different websites in order to find the best OTC diet pills. Don’t just stop at one or two. See if you can find reviews in at least a solid handful of places. This can help you to see what real people have experienced, instead of simply having to believe the promises made on the marketing materials.
Other Things to Consider Before Buying
Beyond conducting research before you buy the best OTC diet pills, there are a few other aspects that you should keep in mind if you believe that taking a diet pill product would benefit your weight loss efforts.
- Understanding that there are two different types of OTC weight loss aids – Over-the-counter diet pills fall under two general categories: nonprescription drug and dietary supplements. A nonprescription drug, such as Alli, contains an actual drug for which the drug company must provide the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) results from human clinical trials to show the drug’s effectiveness and safety at a nonprescription level. Dietary supplements, on the other hand, contain herbal ingredients that do not require FDA approval or testing. It is up to the manufacturer of these products to be responsible for ensuring the safety of their products and to make honest claims about it.
- Set realistic expectations – Remember that there is no miracle pill for weight loss. Even if you find the best OTC diet pills on the market, these pills are not going to melt fat off your body. You will still likely need to make changes to your diet, be more calorie conscious and engage in regular exercise to achieve real results.
- Talk to your doctor before you buy – Even if you find what you feel are the best OTC diet pills for you, consult with your doctor about your plans to take this product. Your doctor can help you decide if this product is the safest and most ideal choice for your current state of health, lifestyle and weight loss goals.